Better than Yesterday.

June 11, 2011

I got my 1st 400lbs. clean (182kg.)  It felt amazing.  I can only imagine how good it’s going to feel when I actually get the jerk.  I also clean and jerked 175 for a PR.

12 Responses to “Better than Yesterday.”

1. Rickard said

Damn that’s solid Ben!
    Congrats to the PRs!

2. TimmyMFg said

Ben,
    Your the man dude, love watching your videos and your drawings are fucking epic! Awesome PR too made that shit look EZ! Quick question I saw your post the other day about Super Size me. I’m in the same boat dude always had the fat on me. Now that i’ve seriously started lifting over the last 7 months its starting to drop but its def still there. Hitting some decent weights finally and it feels good! Just wondering do you focusing on alot of conditioning when you want to trim the fat and if so what do you do as your conditioning? Thanks Ben and keep killing it!

• bclaridad said

Thanks for the support, bro. I used to do a lot of conditioning when I wanted to take off weight. I would run, use kettlebells, pull-ups, push-ups, you know, crossfit type stuff. But honestly, I’m working out so often now that all I have to do is throw in some bodybuilding stuff, fix my diet and and I can trim off lbs. without too much effort. Although, about 6 months back when I wanted to trim off some weight, I discovered that doing heavy prowler sprints was my favorite conditioning tool. My usual prowler workout would be on a 50ft track. 1 trip would be to one end and back. I would do 5 trips, add a plate, 4, then add a plate, 3, so on and so forth. You can get pretty creative with prowler workouts, and then combine them with other tools, like battling ropes and whatever else you like.

• bclaridad said

Tired legs aside, I think that prowler sprints doesn’t have as much of a negative impact on weight training as does other conditioning tools like running. Whatever you do, don’t run if you can help it. This, of course, is ENTIRELY opinion based on my own personal experiences.

• TimmyMFg said

Hey man, thanks for writing back to me. Great insight on the tools you use to get rid of some weight and trim some fat more importantly. I did Deadlifts, then bench last week and after that I decided to sprint and I was wrecked pretty bad for 3-4 days. I’m going to play around with some kettle bell work. Don’t have access to a prowler but I would love to get one. All in good time I guess. Anymore tips would be greatly appreciated. Keeps those videos coming man.

• bclaridad said

More than happy to try and help. I got a video from today of me ALMOST getting a 2 hundo kg jerk from the rack, but then I lost balance like a sissy. Want me to post that?

• bclaridad said

Kettlebells are cool. I find that if I play around with too much stuff ON TOP of my weightlifting, I usually throw out my back. That is part of the reason I don’t do much besides weightlifting. But this summer, I’ll probably decide to trim down at some point so I’ll post anything I do pertaining to conditioning.

• TimmyMFg said

Hell ya you should post that. Ya keep me updated on when your going to start trimming down and let me know what your doing. It would def help to hear what you are doing and what you think is working the best for you. Going to throw in my numbers just so you know where I’m at. Squat 3×5 @275. Deadlift 1×5 @325. Shoulder Press 3×5 @130. Bench Press well more like Floor press because I haven’t been able to bench due to not having one. Floor Press 3×5 @200. Power Clean 5×3 @ 195. All weights are in Pounds. Shoulder Press and Bench(floor) press are huge weakness of mine but i’ve seen really good improvements in all lifts over the last three months since really gettting into the heavy lifting. Also I weigh 230 and stand at 6 feet. I’ve got a long long way to go but its a start.

• bclaridad said

You sound like a strong dude. But at 6 foot tall and 230, is weight loss a major concern for you? If you are doing heavy lifting 3 days a week, maybe you could do some assistance lifts followed by 10 minutes or less of conditioning on the odd days. That was just one thought, not knowing anything about your training schedule.

3. Terri with a heart over the "i" said

Congratulations, a true milestone lift!